Day 13 (7/2/21): Washington At Last

I woke up this morning at the truck stop and continued on. From Montana, through Idaho, and to Washington.


When I crossed the boarder into Washington, I was overcome with emotion. For nine years I have wanted to move back to Washington. Ever since I left for undergrad in upstate New York, I knew that I wanted to move back. I belong in Washington. Today was that day. I am finally returning to where my heart has always been. 


Not only that, but I had just completed a four month, 12,000 mile, twice across the country road trip, by my self. I have never felt so empowered. This isn't how I ever expected this moment to come. But I am so glad that it evolved this way. 


I was ending one chapter of my life as I knew it on the east coast and beginning a new one here in Washington. It feels as if I'm getting a fresh start. I won't have to miss another family gathering, birthday, holiday, or event because I'm 3,000 miles away. 


I stopped in Spokane at Panera bread for lunch. It was beautiful out. Sunny, warm, and not a cloud in the sky. In just a few hours I would be arriving at my cousin Annie's for her birthday celebration in Cle Elum! On my way, I stopped at Safeway in Leavenworth for groceries. On the last stretch of the trip, it was SO windy! I was white knuckling the steering wheel. This area, and eastern Washington in general, are known for being really windy. It was a bit intimating as I was on a high ledge next to the river. But I made it! 


When I arrived, I was welcomed back with open arms of family and friends. It couldn't have been more perfect. It was the perfect place to be welcomed home to after such an amazing and transitional trip.

 

Washington, I am home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park