Day 17 (4/11/21): St. Louis Archway!

This mornin, I woke up in the Dillons store parking lot, got myself ready, went into the store to pick up a few inside forgotten the night before, and then hit the road again. I had another long day of driving ahead of me. However today, was the first day that I didn't know where I would end up tonight. Neither the city or my location of where I'd be sleeping. I was just trying to get as far as I could. So I was on my way and I made a few stops along the way.

 I decided to go to the St Louis Arch as I passed through Saint Louis. Which I didn't know was also a national park! Driving into downtown Saint Louis is a little dodgy not knowing the city and driving this huge camper rig. Sometimes it feels small to me and other times it still feels giant. I found my way down to the arch; however, it was a two-way narrow road along the riverfront between the arch - and of course, there were horse-drawn carriages also walking down this little narrow parkway! Then, only to find at the end of the road, that it was closed and you couldn't travel all the way through! So I had to do a tight little turn around with a motorcyclist holding up traffic for me while I tried not to hit a horse. 

I ended up finding an illegal parking spot in a bus parking only area, but everyone else was also parked there so I figured it would be fine. At least for a few minutes. So I jumped out and took a few photos while I could - looking around for cops nobody else seemed to be worried and I didn't see any buses or cops.

 So I decided to wander up to the park and go into the National Park visitor center to get my passport stamped. I was probably at the park for less than 30 minutes but I'm so glad I stopped! I wish I had more time to hang out in the lawn and enjoy the beauty of spring on the river. However, I was worried about my parking spots still so I went on my way. 

On the way out of town, I wanted to stop for coffee and gas. However, I quickly found myself in the hustle and bustle of downtown Saint Louis traffic from a baseball game that was getting out. So, I decided to keep going and not be driving around this unknown city the giant camper rig and all of these people walking everywhere. On my way out of town though, driving past the stadium with everyone leaving the gates unmasked and in crowds, it was my first real craving for normalcy. I just wanted to be one of those people unmasked with all my friends and family having just gone to a ballgame, enjoying the beautiful summer warm spring air. However that's not the case.

Anyways...  I decided to get gas and coffee out of town at a rest stop or somewhere off the highway more easily accessible. I found somewhere not too far away where I got some gas and coffee, then did some research for where to stay that night. I looked around at what would be about an hour to away from me because I'd already drove so long that day and it was about 5:30 so I didn't want to drive more than an hour or so further. I found a Walmart and a Cracker Barrel about an hour away in Mt Vernon, Illinois. I knew they both allowed overnight parking so I would just pick one. I ended up going to the cracker barrel. I arrived in Mt. Vernon, Illinois at about 6:30 and decided to go to a park for a walk and stretch before heading in for the night. It was good to see so many people out and enjoying the spring air in the park. Everyone was so kind and said hi as I'm past them on this little path. Then, I went and got parked, did some cleaning, and went to bed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park