Day 2 (6/21/21): Cuyahoga Valley National Park


This morning I woke up at 6:00 and got myself ready to be out the door early. My goal was to be on the road by 7:00 a.m. The night before, when I met Karen, she had invited me over in the morning for a cup of coffee. As I was getting ready, she came over to my camper and said hi. As she was standing outside my camper chatting, it started to storm again, so I invited her in. We chatted for a long while about our different travels, where we had been, and where we were going. She was very kind and fun to talk to. But then I had to continue getting ready to head out to Cuyahoga Valley National Park. 

Although it was currently downpouring, it was my only opportunity to be able to go to Cuyahoga. Therefore, I was going to hit the road either way and do what I could. So I went on my way, although it was closer to 7:30 or 8:00. Then, as I was pulling out of the driveway and putting directions into Google maps, my phone said that I didn't have any data. This was a first and I knew in fact that I did have data. However, I wouldn't be able to get anywhere without it. So, before leaving the driveway, while I knew where I was and with people who couls help me, I backed up and went back to Karen's trailer. I used her internet to look up the phone number for AT&T and while we were chatting and doing this my phone miraculously started working again. (Of course.) Now, I at least I have the phone number for AT&T to look it up if it happens again. We chatted for another little bit and then I hit the road, again.


By this time it was about 8:30. I was definitely on the road later that I wanted to be; however with the rain storm, chatting with Karen, and phone issues, it is what it is. So I went on my way and headed out to Cuyahoga Valley National Park. It was only about 15 minutes away from where I was staying. I knew that I wanted to go South to North in the park because that afternoon I would be driving up to Michigan, where I was staying that night. 

I started out by going to Beaver pond, which is at the southern tip of the park. It was a pretty little boardwalk with a marshy pond filled with lily pads and some sort of tall grass. There were tons of birds and it would be a great place for birders to go bird watching. I saw a great blue heron and a snapping turtle! 


Then, I headed north to The Ledges. Here, was interesting... 

As I was pulling into the parking lot they were the spaces that were slanted for directional traffic coming in. However, it's best for me to back into a parking spot so that the back of my truck can overhang the grassy area so I don't stick out, and it's easier for me to just pull out of when I leave. 

As I'm backing into this parking spot at this awkward angle, a school bus of about 30 kids gets out and is walking towards me. As I finish parking, they're walking past me and the chaperone lady yells at me something like "great job, you really look like you know what you're doing!" To which I respond "thanks, I've had a bit of practice!" I hop out of my truck to check how much room I have behind me before heading some rocks because it's hard to tell, even on the backup camera. When I hop out, she stopped walking and backs up back to me and starts chatting. Then, she hollars for the kids to come back too. At this point in time, my engine is still on because I was in the middle of backing up, my door is open, and I'm standing there. She tells me her name is Holly, asks me my name, and then starts asking me questions. She's yelling (talking very loudly) to the kids over my diesel engine. I tell her that I'm going to finish backing up and then I can cut the engine so she doesn't have to yell over it. 

So I back up the truck and turn off the engine. As I do so, I hear her talking to the kids saying "hey kids, this is Heather. And she's awesome. You know why I know she's awesome? Because she's driving this massive truck by herself and backing this thing up like a pro. I see she has a guitar, which means she's also musical! And, she has a hoola girl on her dash. That must mean she's awesome!" She was extatic! I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but she was SO excited about me driving across the country by myself.

At this point I'm gathering my things and working on just getting out of my truck so that I can say hi properly to her and her class. She starts asking me questions such ahow old I am, if I drove it here all the way from Washington, how long I've been on the road, where I work, etc. She was so enthusiastic and fun to talk to. You could tell she was very passionate about the kids and wanted to show them something interesting and different, so I went along with it. 

One of the kids then piped up and said "can we look inside? I've never seen the inside of a camper". To which I responded "sure" - which I don't think she heard me say. But then she asked if they could and I said "of course!" However, I had backed up pretty far so it was a little tough for them to see it. There was a small patch of grass but then there was some poison oak so we had them make a single file line and 30 kids looked into my camper! This was wild, and not what I was expecting my day to be like. (Kids hidden in photo for protection). 


She kept asking me questions and chatting as each kid looked in one by one. It turns out that both her son and daughter also engineers. She asked me if I had a boyfriend or husband, to which I responded "no". We had a great little chat as all the kids looked in. It was fun to be a part of this little kids camp for the day and show them something different. Especially for young girls to see independent women doing adventurous things without being afraid of the world.

I walked with them a little ways but then wanted them to kind of get in front of me so I stopped to look at a map. However, when I kept going, they were all sitting at the picnic shelter ahead. Holly ran up to me again and asked me what my mom thought of all of this. To which I chuckled and said "she thinks it's great. She used to live in a van too and she's traveled the US and Europe by herself also." She then took a selfie of both of us to which she said "this is for the kids". And then right after said "just kidding, this is for my son." She was very into thinking I should meet her son. He's an engineer and he's 26, she said, "but he looks 28", she winked. I laughed it off. 

We chatted for a little bit longer and she was so excited that I was doing this trip by myself she gave me high praises which was great to hear, especially being a solo female traveler seeing another woman who's older proud of what you're doing. She told me that she always tells the kids that if they're ever in trouble or they need help, to find a woman who's about her age, 50 to 70. She said they'll always help you and I said that's too true. We chatted for a little bit more, hugged, and then I went all my way.

As I went on ahead, they followed quickly behind me (I may have sped up upon seeing them.) Then I heard them singing some ducks songs. To which I couldn't help but giggle. 

I kind of hustled through my hike because I wasn't sure when the next thunderstorm would be hitting. I think I only had a few hours before it would start raining again around 11:00. I did a two mile loop around what's called The Ledges, which are some unique rock formations.


About three-quarters of the way around this two-mile loop I happened to run into them again! To which Holly ran up to me again and told me that she had texted her son, who was jealous of my job. She asked me if I was staying in the area for very long, and invited me over for dinner! I was flattered, but also not interested. (I'm not sure if she was kidding or not, but I think she was dead serious.) But also, I needed to be in Michigan tonight, and I'm definitely not looking for a boyfriend, let alone one in Ohio. This was definitely the wildest part of my day - and trip. We parted ways once again, and I went on my way to finish the hike.

After the ledges, I continued north and went to Brandywine falls which is about a 60 foot waterfall within the park that was beautiful. It was just a short boardwalk walk over to it where there was an overlook.

From there, I went to the Boston Mills visitor center so that I can get my passport stamped. On my way, I found about two or three road closures so it took me a bit. 

Last of all I went to Bridalveil falls. This was my last stop in the park. As I got there it started to sprinkle. Perfect timing I thought. I have to say, it was a little underwhelming, but still pretty. From there I was headed about four and a half hours north into Michigan. I made myself a coffee and went on my way. It was another slow going trip, where the speed limit was 75 but I was only going 60 or 65, so it took me a bit longer. 


Once I arrived at my Boondockers host for that night, it was beautiful. It was also quite different weather than Ohio. It was a cool 45 or 50 degrees, windy, and crisp air. This is much more my style compared to the hot, humid, and sticky Ohio weather that I had just left. My boondockers host met me and led me in to the site. It was two sites next to each other but nobody else was there. I had the whole place to myself. It was beautiful. There was a picnic table, a fire pit, a level graveled area, just as if you were at a campsite. They even had a dump station that I used in the morning. 


I made some clam linguini fettuccine for dinner and then went outside to enjoy the summer solstice as the longest day of the year. I went to make a fire, but after lighting about 25 dry leaves on fire and nothing happening I gave up. I decided to just enjoy my dinner outside. I didn't have any newspaper or the energy to try and make a fire. Once it got dark, I headed inside and went to bed. The next day was another long day of eight hours of driving to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.




Comments

  1. Sounds like a great day!
    I especially like the student interaction!

    Your hike was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park