Day 16 (4/10/21): Manhatten, KS

Today, mom and I woke up early at 3:50am! To be able to bring her to the airport on time for her flight. When we got to the Denver airport, I helped her bring her bags in and then I had to take off because I couldn't go to the parking garage (camper is too tall) but I also couldn't leave the truck sitting in the departure drop off area. I felt bad though because she had her skis plus all of her bags and was flying standby. So I waited in the cell phone lot until I could confirm that she was at least in line with her bags and checked it. Then, I hit the road. It was about 4:30 or 5:00 am at this point. It was pitch black out which made it hard to see, but as I kept driving east, it was beautiful to see the sunrise. 


After the sun rose at about 6:30 or 7am, I was really tired so I decided to take a break at a truck stop. At the truck stop, I made some breakfast, then took a nap. After I woke up, I made coffee, got myself situated and hit the road. It was about 8:30 or 9am; now, I was on my way to Manhattan, Kansas! It was a long day of driving for sure. I made several stops along the way to get some walks in and sttetch. For lunch, I found a park with some walking trails where I could get a long walk in and do some stetching. Plus, I listened to music and an audio book on the way. This all helped to break up the drive and keep me attentive; especially driving solo. 
After about seven hours I arrived at Manhattan Kansas, where I met my friend Carly, who I know from kindergarten. She is going to veterinary school there. Once I arrived in Manhattan, I found a local grocery store where I picked up a few groceries and asked if I could stay in their parking lot overnight. They asked the manager who said it would be fine. So I backed my truck into a corner area herew I knew it would be visible but also somewhat protected for the night. Then I got ready and Carly picked me up so we could go to dinner. We ate outdoors at a local bar - one of her favorites. It was great to see her again and catch up! I'm so excited that we'll both be living back in Washington. Then, she dropped me off back at the local grocery store (Dillon's) where I would be staying for the night. The parking lot was pretty empty. I got ready for bed; It was pretty quiet and I felt pretty safe. But it was my first solo parking lot overnight. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park