Things Are Never How You Expect

 So, I was going to title today's post "Never Ready". Because it seems that I am never actually ready to start a new adventure or trip, until the moment it happens. There's always too much to do before hand, more packing to be done, and it never feels real; until you're there. 

This trip was different though, I almost felt too ready. I was too calm and didn't have that sense of urgency or stress in the days leading up to it. Yes, there was lots to do. But I paced myself. I have been planning and preparing for this trip for months! Maybe that's why. 

Until, I found an oil leak at 5pm the night before I was supposed to leave. Then, I didn't feel ready. Of course something like this would happen the night before I'm supposed to start a 4,000 mile two week road trip. So I panicked, called my mechanic at 5pm Thursday night and they said go bring it in first thing in the morning. So Friday morning, I panicked, and called my boss, to ask for time off to bring my truck to the mechanic - for the fourth time - and the day before I'll be on vacation for two weeks. Anyways, I brought my truck in (with the camper) early Friday morning. To my surprise, they hoisted it in the air! I showed them the leak. But apparently, it turns out that's normal, that diesels "spit" oil. Who knew?! Not me... 


So I went back to work (remotely) and finish up the day, finish packing, and leave just about on time! My mom and I head out (I invited her along for part of the trip to go skiing!!) Down the road. 

We stopped in Bend (near Snoqualmie) to get a wooden dowel because my back slider window doesn't close all the way and "wiggles" open with time. Which gets VERY old, very quickly. 

When we headed back out to the highway, I noticed a high pitch noise and some vibration/resistance in the gas pedal. I kept driving, and it went away as I approached highway speed. So down the road we went! 

Then, we stopped in a town in Eastern Washington for dinner. (Not to be named at this time for safety.) When exiting the highway, that's when I noticed that the noises and vibrations had come back and were significantly worse. When turning, breaking, and accelerating. So we pulled into a Burger King parking lot. 


I hopped out, and found fluid dripping onto the pavement. After some searching, I still don't know what it is. But my best guess is power steering fluid. It's clear with a greasy smell and coming from the drivers front axel area. You can tell from this description, that I'm really a mechanic. 


Then, I called a few actual mechanics. One is open tomorrow morning and agreed to meet me first thing to take a look. With that, we got some dinner and found a safe place to park nearby for the night. 

Now to the title of today's post... This is NOT how I imaged my first night! I have my whole trip planned out, where to get to each day. Needless to say, I didn't make it there today. Also, did I mention, that my truck has been to the shop now at least five times since I bought it?! So here's to losing expectations and taking things in stride as they come. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park