Long Story Short

Long story short, we are safe, and parked in Eastern WA until about Wednesday when the truck will be fixed. 

Now for the long story...

We woke up this morning at 6am in the church parking lot to be able to meet the mechanic (who lived just down the street) at 7am. Also,  cows were not the neighbors I was expecting to have our first night. 

We pulled up, squeaking the whole way. He met us, took a look, and gave his best analysis. It seems that it's my steering gear box. (I just had my steering redone about two months ago.) He was very kind, had great mechanical knowledge and customer service. He refilled my power steering fluid, and by 8 we were back on the road (sort of). 


We went downtown to a Fred Meyer parking lot to hang out until I figured out what the next move was. There were two options. One, I could get towed back to Bremerton with AAA and have my mechanic fix it. Two, I could baby it back to Bremerton and stop often to keep my power steering reservoir full. But with mountain passes, power steering breaks, and a camper, I wasn't willing to risk driving it. So I called AAA. 

Unfortunately, due to COVID, we could not travel in the truck (and it's illegal to travel in the vehicle being towed.) So then I remembered that my membership comes with a free rental car. (Yes - I have the 200mi RV Premiere membership - hoping that I wouldn't have to use it, sigh.) Much to my dismay though, they only operate through Hertz. But there isn't a Hertz near us. All of the other rental car companies are closed until Monday. Plus, they only tow up to $500 RV but don't give you a quote until the tow truck driver is there. What am I paying for then? Anyways... 

With these limited options, I went to plan C and called the mechanic here to ask him to repair it. He's going to order the part Monday, and hopefully we'll be back on the road by Wednesday. 

Then, it became a question of where to stay in the meantime. Thankfully, we have some amazing family who hooked us up with some of their local family. So now, we are camped out in a family's family members driveway while we wait it out. 

This afternoon we decompressed, went for a walk, had a much deserved happy hour, and enjoyed the beautiful sunny skies of Eastern Waahington. 

Through all of this, I am so thankful to have such kind, genuine, and helpful people in this world - and in my life. Thank you to everyone who has reached out and helped! I'm so glad I'm not in this alone. So here's to hanging out, being patient, and throwing my travel plans out the window. Maine, I'll see ya when I see ya.

P.s. this is what the underside of my truck currently looks like: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park