Going With The Flow

Today tested me. But first, let me back up. 

I didn't post yesterday, so this is day 4 & 5. 

Yesterday (Mon 3/29), we woke up to the first snow in the camper! Then, we walked into town to do some errands. It's about 2 miles each way, so we were deinifitely getting our exercise! Especially in the cold wind. 

Then, we continued our walk around town to check out some local sites! Dick & Janes House and the Bull on the Bench are two popular landmarks. 

Today, is Day 5 of the trip - and it tested me. So far I've stayed positive, upbeat, and haven't let this whole mechanical setback affect me or my mindset about the trip. I've been going with the flow - But today was different. 

We woke up this morning bright and early to get to the mechanics by 8. 

We dropped off the truck and unloaded the camper from it too. The truck has to get an alignment after the steering gear box is put on, so we had to take it off. Thankully, the mechanic helped us and let us put it on his driveway. Then, we went to the library at CWU to use the internet. Not 10 minutes later he called me saying "can you come back? I have something I want to show you." That's never a good sign...

So when we got there, he showed me a pipe that had a large wear mark on it. As a repair engineer, I know, that this is not a good thing; as it results in a thin wall. Thankfully, he had a buddy across town who could weld it. So we went back to the library for an hour and then came back to get the part when he was ready. We drove it across town and delivered it to a guy who welded it up in about 10min, then delivered it back. 

At this point, it was about 1pm, and we had an appointment at 3pm for the alignment. All he had left to do, is put this pipe back on. So we hung out in the camper (in his driveway). Unfortunately, the next time he came out, he said again "I have something I want to show you". 

This time, it was a loose front driver wheel and lower tie rod. I had the upper tie rods done a month ago with the steering and suspension. And this would require an alignment too, so I told him to replace both sides. His goal is to get those done by the 3pm alignment appointment. 

Then, as we're walking (under the truck) back to his office - JUST AS I THINK WE'RE ALL SET - he notices that the rear pinion seal is leaking... 

You have to be kidding me. 

Since the truck is already up on racks, and these issues are literally staring me in the face, it's hard to ignore. I'd rather fix them now and do preventative maintanence than have issues down the line (don't get me started on the fact that I had already done 5 shop visits of preventative maintance for this trip and it was a brand new part that broke causing the breakdown). So I agreed and said to fix that too. 

At this point, we left to go back to the library and let him work. About an hour later he called saying that the yoke in the pinion seal is also no good (don't quote me on all of these terms). That, unfortunately, is a part that he wouldn't be able to get until tomorrow (Wed). So I called and cancelled my 3pm alignment apt and have one for 9am tomorrow (Wed). 

This whole time I had been slightly hoping and expecting to get back on the road early Wednesday morning. Now, that's not going to happen. I'm just seeing my trip (and vacation days) flash by as days waiting for a mechanical fix...

This is the point where my grit and emotional reaction was tested. Grit is the drive, stamina, and fortitude to push through any challenge or obstacle until success is achieved. I am proud of the grit that I have and am proud that I did not let this affect me more than it did. But I also wish that it hasn't affected me at all. That's where when I can't control what's happening around me, it's a continual self effort and challenge to myself to control my response to it. I'm not naturally good at going with the flow. I hadn't replanned any part of the trip yet, just trying to go with the flow. 

So onto the rest of the night, I chose to not let it affect me. The mechanic is gracious and kind and showed me a few things on the truck to keep my eye on. A few other things to keep my eye on, and we talked shop for a while. Then, we went back into town to meet up with a friend for a drink! It was so nice to see an old and familiar face. On the way back to the camper, we swing by to see the old single room school house that my grandpa went to school in. 


Now, we are cozied in the camper. In the mechanics driveway... 

I'm not going to get hopefully for what tomorrow brings. It will bring what it brings and I will go with the flow. 


Comments

  1. Heather, I feel for you... What a mess with your truck! I'm happy you found a good and thorough mechanic! He sounds very reliable and very honest. You are really lucky on that one! You are also very patient! I think I would have been ready to take the truck back where you got IItIt

    WWeWelWellWell, I gguguess I ccacancan't bbabacbackback kkukuukuupkuup to correct my text! Talk ab t a mess!
    Anyway, I'm enjoying your blog! Wishing you better luck on the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 18 (4/12/21): Mammoth Cave National Park